Monday, October 15, 2007

Vulnerability and Surprising Realizaitons

Today brought an interesting realization...

Telling our own stories to others is often an incredible act of vulnerability. When telling a personal story and deciding to not omit details, we often open ourselves up a great deal and show a very vulnerable side of ourselves.

We forget that our story made us who we are at that moment, that despite what happens it is all tied up to the strangness of life and the experiences in which we shouldn't necessarily be judged for.

Today I got to hear a wonderful story about someone's very interesting life journey. It proved to be a very thought provoking story and it made me very happy that this friend felt comfortable enough to open up and share his story with me. Of course I also felt horrible because at several times, I could tell (and other times he would mention it) that he felt incredibly vulnerable because of his candid nature about his story.

I guess it struck me because while I felt so honored to be able to hear his tale, I realized at the same time he would slip into a slightly uncomfortable position where he recognized his own vulnerability.

It made me really think about my own journey and all the tales along the way that I rarely tell people because of how I think of them more as guarded secrets instead of liberating tales. Perhaps one way to free myself from those self-restricting secrets is to get them out, and maybe I should begin to free them into this neutral space.

But for now you will have to just deal with the teaser of things to come.

1 comment:

Tyler said...

There is a reason that the expression is called "naked truth". Exposing our internal selves is often more difficult than showing some skin.

You must be truly special to this guy for him to trust you in this way.

My curiousity is peaked though...don't leave me hanging for too long.